The book I have selected to read is The Help by Kathryn Stockett. The Help is the story of african-american maids working in Jackson, Mississippi. Skeeter is a twenty-two year old white girl who's mother won't rest until she's married. Skeeter is a journalist and meets with the maids under the table to write a book about how they are treated and what is going on in these white homes. The story also follows the paths of two black maids, Abilileen and Minny, who get involved in all sorts of things over the years.
Logan! I am so glad you picked The Help as your ISU novel. It's one of my favorite books! Every time I read your writing, I fall in love with the way you string words together. Your writing is lyrical almost, and flows well. Both your novel selection and easy-to-read writing make me very excited to read your essay. What are you thinking about using as a thesis?
ReplyDeleteWhy thank you Claye! I'm mostly comparing how the two main characters are both young woman on very different sides of the racism battle. I also comment on how literature plays a big role in history by teaching people what is happening, and what matters.
ReplyDelete